Certain types of businesses must be approved by the Department of Buildings (DOB) before they can take occupancy in a building. This is so it can be ensured that city zoning allows your business type to be in your chosen location.
- Fire Suppression Piping Contractor
- Sign Hanger
- Elevator Agency
- Oil Burner Equipment Installer
Email it to email@example.com or mail it to:
NYC Department of Buildings
Attn: Licensing & Exams Unit
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007
Use the LIC33 Business Verification Form to. You will be contacted by phone or email with the results.
Including a copy of the most recent Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) will expedite the process.
Once Verification is Approved
Licensees/new applicants must:
- Meet with the DOB’s Licensing & Exams Unit to be issued the license. Call 212-393-2259 to schedule an appointment.
- Submit a new LIC1 (Elevator Agencies), LIC2, or LIC38 (Electricians) application
- Submit insurance certificates
- Submit a telephone bill that includes the business name and approved business address location. Submit a utility bill with the name and location (this if if you have a cell phone bill or voice over internet phone bill).