Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that is dangerous for us to breathe in, but we cannot detect it unassisted. It is colorless, tasteless, and odorless to humans. Detecting devices are necessary in homes, in order to alert us of unsafe CO buildup.
If there is carbon monoxide in your building, immediately go outside and call 911. You can also contact Poison Control at 212-POISONS (212-764-7667) after you are safely outdoors.
What kind of buildings need detectors?
- One-Family Homes
- Two-Family Homes
- Apartment Buildings
- Multiple Dwellings
- Nursing Homes
Take note that smoke detectors are also required in residential units.
Where do they need to be installed?
- Within 15 feet of the main entrance to every room used for sleeping purposes
- Try not to install these devices near warm/damp areas (such as near bathrooms
- At least one device must be in every dwelling unit
- Devices should have end-of-life alarm that signifies that it will stop working soon
- Replace unit at the end of the period recommended by the manufacturer
- Keep records of installations and maintenance for the HPD, DOB, DOHMH, and/or FDNY. They may ask to view these records
Tenants should also do their part to help avoid CO buildup. They should:
- Keep chimneys clean and remove excess soot
- Keep power generators running outside at least 20ft. from enclosed areas or windows
- Make sure a car’s tailpipe is clear before starting in a garage
- Not use an outdoor grill indoors
- Not keep a car running in an enclosed area
- Not heat their home or apartment using a gas stove or oven
- Not use gas-powered tools in an enclosed area
Tenants also may need to be informed about carbon monoxide detectors via a physical notice.