Do You Have to Alert Adjoining Building Owners to Demolition Activity?

An amendment to Local Law 141 of 2013 mandates that the City will be the ones to let adjoining owners know about demolitions.

What is an Adjoining Property?

It is land that would also be affected if building work was to take place in one building. This can include fences, walls, and sidewalks.


Owners of any adjoining properties will be notified via writing. This will occur when an application is initially submitted.

What is an Adjacent Property?

Any lot that is next to a particular property. When demolition jobs are done, there needs to be insurance to protect adjacent properties.

The DOB will provide adjoining properties with proof of insurance 30 days before the work is to start. If it’s emergency work, this is not necessary immediately but will be provided soon thereafter.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s