The city’s CoolRoof initiative installs cool roofs at no cost to you, or at a reduced cost.
The installation involves coating roofs with a material that reflects sunlight, therefore keeping the building cooler by absorbing less heat. Standard roofs can reach 150°F in the Summer, but cool roofs can shave off 50°F from the temperature.
The program aims to coat at least one million square feet of rooftops in the city per year.
- Less air conditioning is needed, which saves money and helps the environment
- Increases overall indoor comfort in spaces that don’t have air conditioning
The roof must:
- Be flat
- Be in good condition
- Be Free from major cracks
- Be Easily accessible
- Be Free from dangerous equipment/machinery
- Have a 3’8’’ parapet
What kind of institutions can receive installations entirely cost-free:
- Affordable housing
- Community/recreation centers
- Hospitals, medical centers
- Cultural centers (museums, theaters, etc)
- Select cooperatively owned housing
Installations for other kinds of buildings are offered for a low-cost by the city as well:
- Labor, technical assistance, materials will be free
- You will have to pay for coating, at a discounted price
- You must provide electricity consumption data 2 years before the installation, and for 2 years after the coating