Who this Applies to
This process is mandatory owners of the following:
- Multiple Dwellings (3+ residential units)
- Private Dwellings (1-2 residential units) IF neither the owner or their family resides there
- Condos, hotels, and co-ops
When Does Registration Occur
You must submit a new document:
- Annually, before September 1st
- Any time a building has a new owner
- Any time details on the registration are altered (there’s different site management, managing agent, etc)
How to Register
- Create your own login online with the Property Registration Online System (PROS). Here, you will be able to create new property registrations.
- Print out your completed property registration form. The agent and property owner must sign and date it, and mail it to:
Department of Housing Preservation and Development
Church Street Station
PO Box 3888
New York, NY 10008-38883
- The $13 fee can be paid online here, or at a physical DOF Business Center.
If you experience any issues with the registration process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or (212) 863-7000 .
What Happens if I Don’t Register?
There are civil penalties from $250 – $500 if you don’t register a building. Additionally, a property with three or more units will be banned from going to Housing Court against a tenant for nonpayment.